This is Phenomenal!

Monday, April 4, 2011

Hello everyone! It is Monday and of course that means it's poetry day! This is super exciting to me, because I have always loved writing poems. I think it is one of the greatest and most raw forms of expressing emotion.

Every Monday I will post a poem either written by myself or a famous poet that I love. I welcome comments about each piece that I publish. Please be honest and constructive with your feedback. Everyday I am learning to hone my craft more and more and your constructive comments will definitely be invaluable to me in that effort.

In the spirit of girl power, I have chosen Phenomenal Woman by Maya Angelou as my piece for the week. Maya Angelou was my favorite poet as a child and still is today. This poem has always been an inspiration to me and I hope it moves you all as well. Enjoy!

Maya Angelou

Phenomenal Woman
By: Maya Angelou

Pretty women wonder where my secret lies
I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size
But when I start to tell them,
They think I'm telling lies.
I say,
It's in the reach of my arms
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

I walk into a room
Just as cool as you please,
And to a man,
The fellows stand or
Fall down on their knees.
Then they swarm around me,
A hive of honey bees.
I say,
It's the fire in my eyes,
And the flash of my teeth,
The swing in my waist,
And thejoy in my feet.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Men themselves have wondered
What they see in me.
They try so much
But they can't touch
My inner mystery.
When I try to show them
They say they still can't see.
I say,
It's in the arch of my back,
The sun of my smile,
The ride of my breasts,
The grace of my style.
I'm a woman

Phenomenally
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Now you understand
Just why my head's not bowed.
I don't shout or jump about
Or have to talk real loud.
When you see me passing
It ought to make you proud.
I say,
It's in the click of my heels,
The bend of my hair,
The palm of my hand,
The need of my care,
'Cause I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment