The House of the Rising Son

Monday, April 25, 2011
Happy Easter everyone! Hope you all had a wonderful day yesterday! It was sunny and beautiful here in Ann Arbor, and I spent the day writing (of course).

Today is Poetry Monday, and (with yesterday being the Holiday and all) I thought it appropriate to write an Easter poem. Easter is a holiday that really brings back childhood memories for me. I remember searching for Easter baskets and going to church (back when we actually went to church as a family). I remember being dressed up, wearing big Easter hats, and running around our church, playing with the other children.

As I sat down to write this poem I instantly fell back into my 5 year old mindset. As a result, this piece has a voice that I think is hilarious. It was really fun to write, and I hope you enjoy it!



Easter Stories
By: Sarah Lenore

I wore the dress with frills and lace
Shirley's curls flopped in my face
We went to church to get some grace
I think Jesus lives in that place

I've never seen him, but he's there
He shines up all the shoes I wear
And makes the ribbons for my hair
He's there when people show they care

We sing some hymns, and I sing loud
Cuz when you sing, you must sing proud
Don't hide your feelings in a crowd
God wants his praise with heads unbowed

After church we hunt some eggs
Can't run too fast, got tiny legs
I look inside the flower beds
Cuz that's where bunnies lay their eggs

At dinner time we sit and eat
I see a plate with lots of meat
My mom cooked it with lots of heat
We sure got lots and lots to eat!

It's time for baths and time for bed
There's lots of yawns stuck in my head
Mom looks through all the books I've read
But tells stories bout God instead

She tells about Him and His son
And how Jesus became the one
Who saved my mom and everyone
From sins that couldn't be undone

It wasn't us who did the sins
But we would have to make amends
Cuz through them we all came to live
We're stuck in this predicament

First He died and then He rose
This was the life that He had chose
To show us how we should behold
God's mighty works from on his throne

So every year on Easter Day
We go to church, we sit, we pray
We thank God for the son he gave
To rise up from his sinless grave

3 comments:

  1. AS said...:

    I really love this, Sarah! Yes, the voice is fun, but it has a depth to it was well. My favorite so far!

  1. Thanks for the feedback Amy! I really appreciate it. Hope everything is going well!

  1. Unknown said...:

    I loved it too Sarah! Really well written! Keep on writing because I am enjoying reading!

Post a Comment