Who's got my baby?!

Friday, May 1, 2009
What would you do if your fertility doctor told you that she mistakenly implanted someone else's baby into your uterus?

What if your doctor also told you that your baby was being carried by the real mother of the baby you were carrying...?

...whew, I need to pause to catch my breath...

That is exactly what happened on an episode of Private Practice last night.

The problem that I have with this scenario is not that there was a mix up with the embryos. Invetro fertilization, though a wonderful technology for those who can not conceive on their own, is not a natural process. It is a human process, and thus susceptible to human error.

My problem was with one of the mothers (lets call the mothers "mom A" and "mom B"). As soon as "mom A" found out that the baby she was carrying wasn't hers, she decided she was going to abort the baby and begin the IVF process again, without any regard for how "mom B" would feel about it.

"Mom B" did not want to abort the babies. She thought they should deliver the babies and give each back to the correct mother at birth. She was obviously appalled by the idea of "mom A" wanting to abort her baby, but she thought she could deal with that as long as she was allowed to keep the baby she was carrying.

Of course, "mom A", could not handle the idea of another woman raising her child, so she told "momB" that that was out of the question.

Ok, I know you guys are all reading this going, huh....? How selfish!

My feelings exactly.

Now...mistakes happen, and, yes, this was a pretty big one, but to tell someone you are going to abort their baby is horrible enough. Telling them that they can't keep the baby they are carrying is just adding insult to injury. I would have definitely been exchanging some very choice words with "mommy A" about her inconsiderate, selfish, wanting-her-cake-and-eat-it-too, self.

In the end, "mom A" came to her senses and decided they could carry their babies to full term and switch them at birth (wasn't that the obvious solution?).

Anyway, I guess I wanted to share this situation, because I thought it was crazy. I would also like to ask everyone if they have ever been in a situation with someone as selfish as "mom A"?

If so, did you lay any choice words on them, or did you bite your tongue and curse them in private?

Let me know...

Click here to check out private practice at abc.

0 comments:

Post a Comment