Does it take a village?

Friday, April 24, 2009
You know that saying "It takes a village to raise a child"? What ever happened to that? Why do some people have a problem with others in their own family disciplining their children when they get out of line?

Now, just to be clear, I am not talking about anything that would be potentially harmful or abusive to the child.

However, as a mother, I feel like if my child is around grandmas, grandpas, aunts, or uncles, and they misbehave, I trust and respect the authority of that family member enough to allow them to determine the proper consequence for their action.

Am I wrong? Help me out, because I seriously think there is a problem with kids thinking the only people they have to worry about pleasing is their parents. It teaches them to have no respect for adults or any other authority figure.

I believe that parents have to be careful of being so overly protective of their children that they end up creating a little monster.

As far as my kids go, they know that mommy isn't taking any mess, and neither should any other adult figure in their life.

I can say one thing for sure about my parenting skills so far, my kids are not perfect by any means, but I have gotten so many compliments every where I go with them about how polite and well behaved they are.

I guess the proof is in the pudding.

0 comments:

Post a Comment